Our Featured Member synagogue for March 2010 is Temple Beth David of Westwood. We are pleased to recognize the synagogue in celebration of its 50th anniversary.
Temple Beth David in Westwood, Massachusetts, is a caring, Reform synagogue serving a diverse Jewish community. The congregation is warm and welcoming to all. We offer the resources to explore and experience every aspect of Jewish life.
Temple Beth David is...
A Beit Tefilah - House Of Prayer
A Beit Midrash - House Of Study
- Come join us for Sabbath, Festival and High Holy Day worship in our beautiful light-filled intimate sanctuary. Our services emphasize egalitarian congregational participation in prayer and song as we seek to be close to God.
- The Religious School sponsors Jewish education for Jewish children from preschool through tenth grade. Our primary objective is to provide our children with a positive Jewish experience and the basic Hebrew reading skills and Jewish knowledge that will enable them to be proud and competent adult Jews.
- The Adult Education program includes courses in basic Hebrew reading skills as well as classes in the Bible, Talmud and Jewish Thought and History. A highlight of the year is our annual Scholar-In-Residence weekend when we have an opportunity to study with an outstanding Jewish teacher.
- The Chevrah Talmud Torah is a group who gathers for prayer and Torah study every Shabbat morning.
- Temple Beth David has been a Me'ah site offering our members the opportunity to participate in an acclaimed 100 hour adult study course. This Hebrew College / CJP program provides scholars who challenge interested students in various subject of Judaism.
A Beit Kenneset - House Of Jewish Community
- Chavurot are groups of five or six Temple Beth David families who gather together on a monthly basis for Jewish study, holiday celebration and social fellowship. Many who participate in a chavurah rejoice in the feeling that they have found a new extended Jewish family. Chavurot also contribute to the programs of the larger Temple community.
- Social Action at Beth David has focused on many different important projects such as adoption of Russian Jewish and Laotian families, education and fund raising on behalf of Ethiopian Jewry and collection of food and clothing for the hungry and homeless. We take the commandment "to love your neighbor as yourself" seriously.
- Interfaith Outreach seeks to provide educational opportunities for interfaith couples to learn about Judaism and to discuss interfaith issues that affect marriage and family relationships.
- The Temple participates in the Westwood Interfaith Council which is an alliance of the churches and the Temple in Westwood dedicated to interfaith cooperation and education in the local community.
- Sisterhood at the Temple offers a great variety of educational programs which focus on women's issues of a Jewish and general nature. Sisterhood is committed to supporting a multitude of Temple programs.
- The Temple Brotherhood meets regularly to share camaraderie and to hear from speakers at breakfast get-togethers. During the year, they participate in special programs of community outreach and social action and sponsor various services.
- The Temple Beth David Senior Youth Group, known as NAWDTY (Norwood, Westwood, Dover Temple Youth), sponsors an extensive program of local and regional programs for Jewish youth.
- Social Events at Beth David encompass dances, tennis parties, cabaret evenings, visits to the Boston Pops, picnics, theater parties, etc.
Come pray, learn and enjoy all we have to offer. Call us at 781-769-5270, or contact us via e-mail or visit us at www.templebethdavid.net.
7 Clapboardtree Street, PO Box 459
Westwood, MA 02090
Clergy: Rabbi Jeffrey Wildstein, Cantorial Soloist Rachel Reef-Simpson
Back to home